Ladle up a little love. This tomato soup recipe is super-filling and loaded with vitamin C. Try it as a warm, satisfying snack instead of processed junk food. More to love, too, with the adorbz Cupid croutons. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter on bread, then toast – that’s it!
Warm up with this simple yet satisfying tomato soup recipe.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 c. lower-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 28 oz. whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- In 5- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil on medium. Add onion and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring. Add broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, trim crusts from bread. With heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 4 hearts from bread slices; toast hearts. Stir bread scraps into soup.
- Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in butter and sugar. In batches in blender or with immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve topped with heart croutons.