Today is International Women’s Day. Who knew? I sure didn’t, but it is the Shining Moment of my day! Please allow me to tell you a wee bit about it.
According to its website, International Women’s Day has been observed since in the early 1900’s…1908 to be exact when 15,000 women marched through New York City demanding shorter hours, better pay and voting rights. In 1909, as a result of a declaration by the Socialist Party of America, the first National Woman’s Day (NWD) was observed across the United States on February 28th. In 1911, the celebratory day became an international event at a conference in Copenhagen that included of over 100 women from 17 countries, representing unions, socialist parties, working women’s clubs. Since its birth in the socialist movement, International Women’s Day has grown to become a global day of recognition and celebration across developed and developing countries alike.
IWD is now an official holiday in Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, China, Cuba, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Eritrea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Nepal, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Zambia. On this day around the world, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. How amazing is this? I mean, really.
Oh and many global corporations have also started to more actively support IWD by running their own internal events and through supporting external ones. Wondering about Google’s homepage that I found? Yup, International Women’s Day.
I feel so inspired by this day and look forward to sharing this inspiration with you.
Suffering is inevitable but how we respond to that suffering is our choice. Not even oppression or occupation can take away this freedom to choose our response. ~Dalai Lama
Give yourself the best gift today and read this book. In light of all of the pain & suffering in the world, #thebookofjoy will lift you up and better yet, show you how to lift up others.
President’s Day Trivia
A few more nuggets of fun trivia on this national holiday. If you have the day off, I hope that you enjoy it immensely! Heck, even if you don’t have the day off, I hope that your day is full of Shining Moments!
- Barack Obama is the first African American to be elected president of the United States. He was also born in Hawaii, making him the first president not born in the continental United States.
- The tallest president was Lincoln at 6’4”, the shortest was Madison at 5’4”.
- President Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield and Kennedy were assassinated in office.
- Eight left-handed presidents: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
- Lincoln, Jefferson, F. Roosevelt, Washington, Kennedy and Eisenhower are portrayed on U.S. coins.
If ever there were motivation to write & receive snail-mail! The @oscardelarenta #usps #stamps are magical for this girl! Thank you to the @uspostalservice for commemorating #oscardelarenta ‘s legacy.
#mail #oldschool #joy #beautiful
Love is like the wind,
You can’t see it
You can feel it.
~ Nicholas Sparks
VALENTINE’S DAY RECIPE
This Valentine’s Day, don’t just tell someone you love them, show them using this easy Valentine’s Day recipe. This delicious recipe of mini berries trifle in a jar dessert will help you spread the love.
- 2 containers (6 oz each) raspberry nonfat yogurt
- 2 pudding cups (3.25 oz each) Snack Pack® Vanilla Pudding
- 1-1/2 cups Reddi-wip® Fat Free Dairy Whipped Topping
- 1 prepared angel food cake (9-inch, 13 oz), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups assorted fresh berries (such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- Stir together yogurt and pudding in medium bowl until blended. Fold in Reddi-wip.
- Place about 8 cake pieces each in 8 small jars or glasses. Top each with 2 tablespoons pudding mixture and 6 berries. Repeat cake and pudding mixture layers. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Top with additional Reddi-wip and remaining berries just before serving.
Enjoy, Enjoy…and spread the love!!