Suffering is inevitable but how we respond to that suffering is our choice. Not even oppression or occupation can take away this freedom to choose our response. ~Dalai Lama
Give yourself the best gift today and read this book. In light of all of the pain & suffering in the world, #thebookofjoy will lift you up and better yet, show you how to lift up others.
#dalailama #bookworm #joy #onedayatatime #hope #lastinghappiness #changingworld
President’s Day Trivia
A few more nuggets of fun trivia on this national holiday. If you have the day off, I hope that you enjoy it immensely! Heck, even if you don’t have the day off, I hope that your day is full of Shining Moments!
- Barack Obama is the first African American to be elected president of the United States. He was also born in Hawaii, making him the first president not born in the continental United States.
- The tallest president was Lincoln at 6’4”, the shortest was Madison at 5’4”.
- President Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield and Kennedy were assassinated in office.
- Eight left-handed presidents: James A. Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
- Lincoln, Jefferson, F. Roosevelt, Washington, Kennedy and Eisenhower are portrayed on U.S. coins.
Posted in Just for Fun
Tagged bush, clinton, february, ford, left-handed, lincoln, nationalholiday, obama, presidentsday, reagan, tallestpresident, truman, unitedstates
If ever there were motivation to write & receive snail-mail! The @oscardelarenta #usps #stamps are magical for this girl! Thank you to the @uspostalservice for commemorating #oscardelarenta ‘s legacy.
#mail #oldschool #joy #beautiful
Hidden Figures is a MUST SEE. Run, don’t walk to the theatre!
@20thcenturyfox #hiddenfigures #film @octaviaspencer
Love is like the wind,
You can’t see it
You can feel it.
~ Nicholas Sparks
VALENTINE’S DAY RECIPE
This Valentine’s Day, don’t just tell someone you love them, show them using this easy Valentine’s Day recipe. This delicious recipe of mini berries trifle in a jar dessert will help you spread the love.
- 2 containers (6 oz each) raspberry nonfat yogurt
- 2 pudding cups (3.25 oz each) Snack Pack® Vanilla Pudding
- 1-1/2 cups Reddi-wip® Fat Free Dairy Whipped Topping
- 1 prepared angel food cake (9-inch, 13 oz), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups assorted fresh berries (such as blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)
- Stir together yogurt and pudding in medium bowl until blended. Fold in Reddi-wip.
- Place about 8 cake pieces each in 8 small jars or glasses. Top each with 2 tablespoons pudding mixture and 6 berries. Repeat cake and pudding mixture layers. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Top with additional Reddi-wip and remaining berries just before serving.
Enjoy, Enjoy…and spread the love!!
Super Bowl Chile
Some people come to watch the football game. Some come to watch the commercials (guilty). Everyone comes to eat the food, especially the chili. Want to be the host who scores big this Super Bowl? Make this Bowl ‘O Red.
1 ¼ lb. ground beef chuck
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. ground pasilla or ancho chile pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 14.5-oz. can beef broth
1 12-oz. bottle lager beer or 1 ½ cups beef broth
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- In a Dutch oven cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is brown, breaking up meat. Drain off fat. Stir in pasilla pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cloves, and 1 tsp. salt. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, beer, and mustard. Bring to boiling: reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes.
To earn extra points to a touchdown pot of chili is a top-your-own buffet. This one gets high fives all around. Dress up a table with a simple spread that is filled with toppings with bowls of oyster crackers, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, pickles, olives, and fresh tomatoes or peppers-whatever you please. And if someone will really miss the beans from their chili, you can always set those out, too. A tray of hot fries goes well with a bowl of chili, too. Hit the grocery story freezer section for a combo of regular and sweet potato fries for even more variety.