WOWZA! You have to try this maple pumpkin pie recipe. Although the pictures make it look a bit difficult, it really is easy-peasy to make. All you have to do is shape the letters, bake separately, and arrange on top of cooked pie. Now, that’s not so hard, is it? Here’s the yummy recipe.
1 15 oz. package refrigerated pie dough, divided
1 cup evaporated low-fat milk
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 (15 oz can) plus ½ cup unsweetened pumpkin
1 teaspoon water
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 45o degrees.
- Roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Line dough with parchment paper, fill with pie weights. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden. Place on wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- While crust bakes, combine milk and next 9 ingredients (through pumpkin), stirring until well combined. Pour into crust, place in oven, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- While pie bakes, unroll remaining pie dough; roll into a 12-inch circle. Cut dough into 13-inch-thick strips. Gently shape trips into lettering on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper; keep dough chilled until ready to bake.
- Lightly beat together 1 teaspoon water and egg yolk. Lightly brush dough lettering with yolk mixture; sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; arrange lettering on top of pie.
Enjoy!! Please let me know how your pie turned out!